Whether it’s National Pancake Day (Feb. 16) or just Saturday, there are few comfort foods more comforting than a warm stack of flapjacks — the fluffier the better. But there’s a trick to giving them the loft needed to melt in your mouth with every bite.
Grab your GoDonut and follow this simple recipe on your smartphone or tablet.
THE FLUFFIEST PANCAKES
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Serving: 12 pancakes
¼ cup butter
2 cups flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cups milk
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Melt the butter and let it cool a little in a small bowl.
- Take the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt and combine them in a large mixing bowl. Make an indention in the center of the mix and pour in the butter, milk, uncooked egg, and vanilla.
- Whisk the batter until it’s thin enough to pour smoothly off a serving spoon or ladle. Get rid of most of the lumps. Add more milk if the batter continues to be too thick and lumpy despite repeated whisking.
- Preheat your pan or griddle on high. Hold your hand above it to feel when it’s getting nice and toasty. Once it’s hot, turn your burner down to medium-low. Wait two minutes until the pan cools down a little before greasing it.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to pour the batter in a swirling motion into the pan. If the batter doesn’t spread out into a normal pancake size and shape, use your ladle or serving spoon to carefully smooth and form it.
- As the pancake cooks, gently lift the edge of the pancake with a spatula to see when the bottom is turning golden brown. Another indication that the pancake is ready to flip is when bubbles form on the top side.
- Flip the pancake in one, swift motion. Remember: It’s all in the wrist. Once the other side is golden brown, it’s ready to serve with your favorite toppings.
- Post a photo of your pancakes and your GoDonut on social media with the hashtag #godonut